Monday, February 1, 2010

One Down

Well, we’ve made through our first month of deployment.  My wife is doing well, my daughter is still alive, and I am still sane (or at least not more insane than before).  Like the saying about flying, "Any landing you can walk away from is a successful one.”  So despite some of the bumps along the way I am pleased that one month has passed.  Just one month less for my wife to be away.

That being said I’ve gotta say that January of 2010 is a month I’d like to never repeat again.  It was simultaneously the longest month and the quickest month I’ve ever experienced.  Long due to the separation, quick because it’s just been so jammed packed with “stuff.” We experienced our first family separation and the pains that accompany it.  My daughter’s first trip to the ER.  The traumatization of my daughter by the bathtub of death.  The adjustment into single parenthood.  The semi-isolation that comes with being a male spouse of a deployed female service member (ain’t no husbands clubs).  All in all, we’ve been able to make the adjustments and have finally settled into a more manageable routine.  A big thank-you to my parents for showing up for a week to give me a break.  I’m just glad that the “initiation” is finally done.  Let’s just get through this already. One month down, five to go.  Here’s hoping to a better February.

No comments:

Post a Comment