Tuesday, January 12, 2010

White Coat Syndrome

This past weekend did not end well.  It started out as promising as any other weekend but ended with a trip to the ER on Sunday night.  Like a said, it was not a good ending to the weekend.

Basically, what happened was that I was walking down the stairs with my daughter in my arms I lost my footing and fell.  More like I slid on my behind for about 5 or so steps.  It was one of those “time in slow motion” moments from the second my foot slipped out from under me.  Had about a hundred thoughts and visions in my mind in a span that probably lasted no more than a few seconds. Thoughts such as,

“Oh, I’m falling.”

“The baby! Keep the baby up!”

“Don’t let go of the baby!”

and  “This is going to hurt.”

These thoughts were accompanied by simultaneous thoughts of how to best position my body to best protect my daughter from injury and horrid visions of my being incapacitated when I’m the sole caregiver of my daughter while my wife is away.  Not good thoughts. 

The fall now over, I did a quick check of myself and other than sore bum didn’t seem worse for the wear.  My daughter, on the other hand, didn’t fare as well.  She was crying inconsolably.  I could not get her to stop and she was grabbing my shirt as if for dear life.  At first I thought she was scared from the fall but she wouldn’t stop crying and that was my first clue that something was wrong.  Then I noticed her right foot looked slightly bigger than her left but couldn’t really tell if it was swelling or not. There was no discoloration and otherwise no other outward appearance that something was wrong. Then she tried to walk. 

She took one step and immediately grabbed the ottoman in the living room that she was standing next to for support.  Took another few steps all the while limping and holding on the ottoman.  Then the crying started again and I decided to take her to the ER.  One of the good things of being married to a doctor is that she has a lot of doctor friends.  On my way to the hospital I was able to get a hold of one those friends who was able to answer my questions and affirmed my decision to bring her to the ER.

Once at the ER we were able to get an X-Ray and ultimately left with a splint on my daughter’s right foot.  Or should I say lower leg.  They actually molded a splint that went from her foot, all the way up to just below the knee.  By the time we were done it looked more like she had a broken leg than a sprained foot.  It is also a very good guilt producing implement.  Seeing her looking miserable like that just made me want to crawl into a hole. 

One thing to note, my daughter does not like hospitals.  I’ll be amazed if after all is said an done, between the ER, the x-ray lab, and the exam rooms that she doesn’t end up developing White Coat Syndrome.  While that x-ray table probably doesn’t look too threatening to us, to her it probably looks something like this:

droid1

Needless to say she was crying. A lot.  And I felt terrible.

After bringing her home she thankfully fell asleep and slept peacefully.  I decided to take a sick day off of work the next day just to watch her and give her comfort.  I brought her by to see the pediatrician and he confirmed that there were no fractures evident in the x-rays.  He also didn’t think that she needed such an awkwardly molded splint and advised that it was better to take it off. 

Since then my daughter is much happier after removing the splint.  She’s actually able to put weight on the injured foot and may take a few steps but not comfortably.  Hopefully she’ll recover quickly and forgive her old man for his clumsiness.

Tip: When you’re spouse is deployed and you have kids, keep a cell phone on you at ALL times.  Just in case something happens to you and you need help. You’re the only one they (your kids) can count on so you have to stay healthy.

Also, don’t fall while walking down the stairs and holding your child.

Blessed be the Lord, because He has heard the voice of my supplication.  The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him.

                                                                        Pslams 28:6-7

1 comment:

  1. This is Jen's friend, Kelle, from A&M. I just was reading your blog and saw this. The "guilt inducing" comment reminded me of something that happened to my daughter when she was about Ella's age. Here are a couple posts on it:

    http://theadventuresofacatholicmom.blogspot.com/2007/12/who-would-have-known-that-simple-trip.html

    http://theadventuresofacatholicmom.blogspot.com/2007/12/genna-got-her-cast-today.html

    http://theadventuresofacatholicmom.blogspot.com/2008/01/cast-off.html

    Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete