Wednesday, January 6, 2010

High School Never Ends?

So there’s a song by Bowling for Soup called “High School Never Ends” that I find witty and catchy but my wife thinks is stupid.  It’s basically about a band making the observation that to them it seems like the world is like one big high school. They feel like even though they’ve graduated from high school, they can’t seem to escape the sense that nothing has really changed.  It’s just a bigger stage.

Why am I writing about this?  Well, the other day I caught myself waiting desperately for word or contact from my wife.  Just wanted to hear from her.  I would set up the computer so that it was always within arms reach in case she wanted to Skype.  The phones (home and cell) never left my side.  Every little blip, bloop, or beep brought running back to the computer to see if it was something from her.  I would go back and re-read recent e-mails for hidden messages.  Gaze and moon at pictures of her.  In short, I was acting like an angst ridden and rather emo teenager all over again. 

I was sitting there feeling sorry for myself and suddenly thought “Hey…all this feels kind of familiar.”  Then it hit me.  I was having flash backs of the days of being young, single, and pimple ridden.  It kind of sucked.  Those days of unrequited love (love? more like crushes) were pretty pathetic and here I was feeling the same way and acting like a teen again.  I had to snap out of it.  Back to the routine, back to being Mr. Roboto and keeping busy. 

Fortunately, these days I think I have better handle of myself and was able to find more constructive methods of occupying my time rather sitting around like some moody teen (Back in my day “emo” wasn’t a word yet so I was just “moody”).  ‘sides…it’s not like I have to wonder how she feels about me.  (BTW…quick note to all you single guys out there. Man up and tell her how you feel already.  You’re driving her nuts and probably making her mad too. Bad juju.)

This blog helps.  Being pro-active about sending her messages helps (and guys…we need to be taking the lead here).  Figuring out new ways to communicate helps.  I just realized this morning that I can actually record and send private videos via facebook to my wife and have it be for her eyes only.  One of the things we talked about was doing a devotional together but being oceans apart and having a 9 hour time difference makes it difficult.  With this I was able to upload a video of me reading the devotional, express my thoughts on it, and upload it to her via facebook.  Love technology and yet another thing to keep me occupied.

Tip of the day: Grow-up and do something about it already.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that the Lord has given you one more way to stay in touch with Jen via the private FB videos. That's awesome! I'm appreciating your blog and thankful for knowing how to better pray for you, Jenn, and the little dancing queen.

    ReplyDelete