Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Proverbs 31 Husband

My wife is pretty darned awesome.

The other day I was having a pretty lousy morning.  I was not looking forward to going to work and generally had a bad attitude overall.  It was a combination of staying up too late (see video games), a daughter that was teething (and also grumpy), and the uninviting prospect of meetings (teleconferences in my case) all day with people that were generally upset at you for doing your job.  I happen to work in legal and compliance for a rather large investment firm so I get to spend my days telling people “no” and “stop that.”  Later in the day I get to pick-up my daughter from day care and continue on with me “no” and “stop thats.”  Boy was I grumpy.

What does this have to do with my wife being awesome? Well it’s because that even though she’s thousands of miles away she’s still able to brighten my day, cheer me up, and offer encouragement and prayer when I needed it.  And it’s effective.  My day wasn’t as bad as I thought.  I had a better attitude and not as grumpy.  All of this got me thinking about how lucky I am to have this wife of mine.  She’s smart, loyal, gentle, patient (most of the time), an all around hottie, and she’s somehow my wife!?  I’m baffled too.

In the book of Proverbs in the Bible, Proverbs 31 offers a description of a Wife of Noble Character.  The woman in this passage is superwoman.  She does it all.  She raises her kids, manages a household, works the field, runs a business all the while being giving, loving, patient and kind.  The Proverbs 31 woman sets a pretty high standard for women everywhere.  What does this have to do with my wife?  Well, to me she really brings to life the Proverbs 31 woman as a woman, mother, and wife to me.  Interestingly, Proverbs 31 doesn’t really focus on the husband so much but there are two passages that talk about how the husband should interact with this wife.  In verses 11 and 12 it says “Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.  She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.” 

This is true of my wife to me.  With her I have everything.  Without her I have nothing. She does bring me good, encourages me, supports me, and is my counsel when I go astray.  My voice of reason.  Verses 28 and 29 then tells the husband how he is to respond to such a wife.  It says “Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.’”

So to my dear wife, yes there are many incredible women out there, but to me you surpass them all.

Thank-you.

thumbsup

No comments:

Post a Comment