Thursday, March 18, 2010

At the End of the Day…

I miss her most.

nautical-dusk 

Please forgive me if this post isn’t filled with the usual hi-jinks and misadventures.  I simply don’t feel like it right now.

It’s the end of the day here.  The toys and books have been put away.  The kitchen is clean. Dishes done. The dog is lounging on his pad and the baby is upstairs in her crib sleeping.  The night has come and the house has settled into a very quiet stillness.

Too quiet.

It’s moments like this that the fact that my wife is far away from me, in a strange land fighting in a distant war, becomes inescapable.  Without the distractions of work, a house to keep after, and a 19 month old to keep track of, I find myself alone with my thoughts. Naturally my thoughts turn to her.  It’s when the house is this quiet that you realize that someone is missing. That there’s a void where there shouldn’t be one.  It’s when you can hear your own thoughts echoing in your head that you wish you had your wife here, just to talk to.   And when you finally head towards bed at night your only thought is that the bed you once thought was too small is now too big for just you.  It’s at night when I miss her most.

My only solace is that nighttime brings the bliss of sleep and the rising of the sun the next day marks one more day she is closer to home.  As the sun rises, so too does the energy and activity level of the house.  Hope and a spirit of perseverance make a comeback.  And the world shakes off the night and moves forward once more.

 

“Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”  

                                                                                                                      Psalms 42:11

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”

                                                                                                                      Psalms 27:14

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Keye. "I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord. Be strong and let your heart take courage, yes, wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:13,14

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, beautifully written.. thanks for sharing your thoughts w. the world of the web.. no substitute for your wife, but an outlet nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete