Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Trauma at the Hospital

I don’t like going to hospitals. 

To me, you go the hospital only when you’re sick and because I don’t like getting sick, I don’t like going to hospitals.  My last visit to the hospital was the ER trip for my daughter that I wrote about in a previous entry.  It did little to temper my distaste for hospitals.

It is with this frame of reference that you can understand my attitude when I had to bring my daughter in for her last well-baby check-up the other day.  My daughter’s attitude toward hospitals is about the same as mine.  She just takes one look at the examining table and she “knows what’s up.”  Especially since her doctor’s visits are followed by visits to the vaccination clinic.  Yup. I was in for a great time.  Little did I know…

So this particular check-up was going pretty smoothly until the provider that was seeing us started asking me questions about my daughter’s development.  She was giving me advice about her diet, what her vocabulary should be like, and other cognitive developments that I should expect.  She then I asked me if I was potty training her to which I emphatically said, “No.”  So at this point the provider starts telling me that I should think about getting a little potty for her, gives a few tips here and there, and mentions the fact that the way kids learn about “going potty” is just by watching. 

Oh boy. I know where this is going.

And then the magical words come, “You know, you should start letting her come to the bathroom with you.  And, well…since she’s a girl, you should probably start sitting down when you go to the bathroom.”

picard_slap

I don’t like going to the hospital at all.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Keye,

    Been enjoying your blog postings...it's pretty hilarious and man you're such a good writer!

    but yeah man potty training isn't fun...especially with little girls! I can definitely relate man... my advice though, just wait till the wifey gets back home.

    But in the mean time...let's just thank the Lord for diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear- just get the potty video! or book
    http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Potty-Artist-Provided/dp/B0000CBLBB/ref=pd_sim_v_3
    doctors are crazy sometimes! I'm sure she's smart enough to get the hang of it without a live demonstration- yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is WAY to early to make any real progress in the potty arena anyway! Just wait till Jennifer gets back! Both my girls potty trained at 2 1/2 yrs old. With my first I started around 18 mons, with my second she decided she was ready at 2 1/2 yrs old and she was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I would say that you have probably had enough sanctification shock over the last 5 months without throwing in potty training a little girl that is not even two!!! And I'm sure that Jenn will gladly tackle that venture when she gets home. Sometime drs. advice makes me scratch my head in disbelief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and awesome pic at the end of this post!!! My sentiments exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it with guys & potty training? Steve had the same reaction when I suggested Michael and now Mark -- and they needed to watch him. Yup - he was NOT thrilled.

    ReplyDelete